The current fee for a marriage license is $72.00, payable in cash before issuance. Completion of an approved marriage class reduces this fee by $60. The class is 8 hours. The State of Texas encourages this class. The class is normally free of charge.
A premarital education course must include instruction in:
(1) conflict management;
(2) communication skills; and
(3) the key components of a successful marriage.
A course under this section should be offered by instructors trained in a skills-based and research-based marriage preparation curricula. The following individuals and organizations may provide courses:
(1) marriage educators;
(2) clergy or their designees;
(3) licensed mental health professionals;
(4) faith-based organizations; and
(5) community-based organizations.
The curricula of a premarital education course must meet the requirements of this section and provide the skills-based and research-based curricula of:
(1) the United States Department of Health and Human Services healthy marriage initiative;
(2) the National Healthy Marriage Resource Center;
(3) criteria developed by the Health and Human Services Commission; or
(4) other similar resources.